Educational Technology

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Blogging: Friend or Foe

After you have read ONE of the articles below, consider the following questions: How do you see them being used in the classroom? What problems would blogs present? How might blogs benefit some of your students?

Write a response and post it on Ms. Bartruff's blog. Postings should be about two paragraphs. Include a short summary of the article and then 7-10 thoughtful sentences about your reaction to Blogs and their impact on education.

Content Delivery in the ‘Blogosphere’
http://www.thejournal.com/articles/16626/

Why Blog?
http://www.thejournal.com/articles/17616/

The New Student-Teacher Channel

21 Comments:

  • In The New Student-Teacher Channel Vernon B. Harper, Jr. provides fresh insight into the novel world of weblogs (otherwise known as blogs). The author contends that blogs can be a very positive form of educational communication, especially between teachers and students. He points out the built-in controls that blogging offers, but also reminds teachers that editing the content of the blog postings is a fundamental responsibility.
    Interestingly enough, in the study group (which was a very small sample) the persons who tended to be shy and reserved in class became much more open and responsive while blogging. Another cautionary note that needs to be brought to educators attention: students who disclose personal information do not necessarily view their online conversation the same as they would a face-to-face conversation. Thus, educators who utilize blogs must use discernment in how they refer to the disclosures. In light of the article's argument for blogs, I think that they could be a good resource to spur on self-disclosure. They need to be properly monitored though, and the availability of internet per student must be taken into account.
    AB

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:50 PM  

  • Heres one

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:31 PM  

  • Hey here is a comment

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:31 PM  

  • Hello everyone -AB

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:32 PM  

  • Hi all

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:32 PM  

  • The New Student-Teacher Channel says that blogging is a positive route of learning in education because it encourages self disclosure between the students and teacher. Students feel more open, it says, to say what they really think when they have the chance to do it online and not in the classroom. Discussions become deeper and longer when initiated outside of group, face-to-face situations.
    I think blogging can be a very good and creative way for teachers to get their students to interact with each other. As a student I know that I don’t usually like to speak up in class. This isn’t necessarily because I’m afraid to but mainly because I don’t like to speak a lot in front of other people. On the other hand, I find it pretty easy to voice my opinion on paper, or in this case online. Blogging allows people to communicate with each other without having to respond to the other right away. Bloggers can read a blog and then take their time in placing their response so that they can truly discuss what they want to instead of having to be quick on their feet like in a classroom. Just like any other type of online discussion (email, chatting, etc.) blogging faces the chance that one blogger will misunderstand another’s writing. It is hard to relay tone of voice online. This could be one negative aspect of blogging, but the positive aspects outweigh the negatives. I feel blogging is a great way for learning to occur and I am excited to see how it develops.

    RP

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:54 PM  

  • The article "Why Blog?" by Frank Catalano focuses on the reasons for blogging. It is a widely used tool in our world today for communicating various things to many other bloggers. He states that some people only use it for fun and staying in contact with other people, whereas, others treat it as a tool for education and learning.
    I think that blogs are useful tools for several reasons. First, they allow others to communicate daily with each other - not just by speaking, but by writing to one another. Second, I think that blogging is great for educators, because of their new ability to give students information. Educators and students can use blogs as a way to communicate outside of the classroom. The blogs become a tool for researching new information from the web and new opinions from various students (within a blog). I am now using a blog to correspond with my professor at another college for my classes and he uses it to give his students assignments and online lectures. There are various ways educators can utilize the weblogging (blogs) for their classroom. I hope that if I use one in my classroom, it will "add to the world of knowledge and learning" (Catalano) in my students' lives. EW

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:45 AM  

  • The article I read was the New Student Teacher Channel. This discussed why blogging was good for students and how it could complete their learning experience. Blogging does seem to be a great way of getting to talk with you students as a teacher and seeing what they know. In the article it said that blogging was probably better to use more often with older students than with younger ones but that younger ones should learn how also.

    One thing that I like about blogging is that it does open doors for the students to discuss a topic and receive feedback from the teacher or classmates. If I were using this form of technology in my classroom than I would want to filter what was put on their blogs so I might retain the ability to delete or allow certain comments. I don’t know that they would ever put tasteless blogs on the sight but I would want to be careful that they were not doing something like that.
    LS

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:42 PM  

  • In the article that I read, "The New Student-Teacher Channel," it talked about how a teacher can start a blog for their classroom and once the students start having discussions on it, then the teacher can just let them talk it out. I think that blogs are a good way to get discussions started, but if the students were to get off topic or out of hand, then that could create problems. Students could start gossiping or talking about what they did yesterday after school , etc. If we want to incoporate blogging into the classroom, we really have to watch what goes on and to let the students know what is appropriate and what isn't.

    Some advantages of blogging is that it can discussions started. It can also help students get more involved in the class and their studies. So, as you can see, it has its advantages and its disadvantages. Personally, I would only use a blog in a classroom if I wanted my students to discuss a issue, but I would never have them do it in the classroom or during school hours. If I asked to have a discussion outside of class I would make sure that it was set for a reasonalble time and I also make sure that they had access to all of the resources that they would need in order to complete the assignment. That's how I feel about blogging, and those are some advantages and disadvantages I see if it was added to the classroom.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 AM  

  • The information put out in the article "The New Student-Teacher Channel" was an informative introduction to educational blogs. When a teacher establishes a blog, and engages their students in it, there is a new conduit of learning that is opened. Blogs partner with teachers in a sense that even though the teacher is not present with the students, he or she is still able to contol and facilitate student learning. This method of student-teacher interaction provides freedom on the part of the student; however it is still within the boundaries set in place by the teacher. Teachers should always select the email function so that they are notified each time a student posts, and therefore they can 'screen' the information that is being posted.

    I don't personally have a blog of my own. Just this term I have started engaging in online discussions and the like. On one hand, these forums/blogs seem to be rather tedious, yet on the other hand and from the view of a teacher, they are rather helpful. Blogs allow all students to express their thoughts and research findings hopefully without anxiety or shyness. I am focused on teaching Early Elementary, therefore I do not foresee my students regularly engaging in blogs. Yet, as my mind begins to process further the advantages of blogs, I can envision using this as a consistent means of communication with parents. It is true that all parents do not have daily internet access, but the numbers are increasing for those who daily connect to the web. I will most definitely pursue a parent-teacher type of blog/forum.
    -JK-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:27 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Coconutree, at 11:57 AM  

  • I chose to the read the article "The New Student-Teacher Channel". This articled discussed blogs with an optimistic view. It emphasized the various tools available in a blog such as an e-mail notification feature, this notifies the person who originally posted the blog when someone posts a comment. It also discussed how blogs can extend learning because it creates an opportunity for learning outside of the classroom.

    I think this article shared true and valuable information about blogging. As technology develops we should try and use it to reach our students. Therefore I see blogs as something that can be very useful to a teacher.


    ~JS

    By Blogger Coconutree, at 11:58 AM  

  • I read the article, "Why Blog?" by Frank Catalano. In his article Frank discusses some of the benefits of this new technology.It basically allows the average Joe to speak his or her mind. They can simply communicate with friends or use it as a new educational tool.

    It's hard to believe that blogging was coined so long ago. Because I am just finding use for it, it seems like it has to be new to everyone.

    The most interesting part of this article was the big emphasis that the author put on "the content" and "why we're going to blog." Most people I know who use blogs just use it to ....blah. Exactly that-- just let whatever comes out come out. They don't think about their purpose. This is the first time I've ever seen the blog used in a professional way. I guess you learn something new every day.


    Bryndle Fleming

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 PM  

  • In the article why blog, the author writes reasons why people should use blogs. The author starts out by asking the reader a rhetorical question of what are the reasons to blog. To spread information, learn about blogs, vent your frustration. Personally, the only use I could see blogging work for me being a Math teacher in a high school setting would be to send out homework to sick students, a place where students can mention problems that they struggled with, and practice problems for exams.

    -Michael McLeod

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 PM  

  • I read the article "Why Blog?". This article was very insightful in explaining why different people use blogs. I believe blogs would be very helpful in the classroom. First, students would be able to use it to seek help from other students on homework assignments. Second, through the blog the teacher can see where the students are struggling. Third, the teachers can post what the homework assignment for the day, and that way if the student forgot they can look it up. Those are three reasons why blogs are good in the classroom.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 PM  

  • I read the article "Why Blog?". This article was very insightful in explaining why different people use blogs. I believe blogs would be very helpful in the classroom. First, students would be able to use it to seek help from other students on homework assignments. Second, through the blog the teacher can see where the students are struggling. Third, the teachers can post what the homework assignment for the day, and that way if the student forgot they can look it up. Those are three reasons why blogs are good in the classroom.
    ~TD

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 PM  

  • I read, "Why Blog." The important Point that this artical made, in my opinion, was that a blog is not an authority, but rather a personal journal made up of ones thoughts and opinions. I do think that a blog can be used as a valuable resource in the classroom. It can be used for posting directions for assignments or for discussion groups. What is important when using it as a discussion tool is making sure that your students know when viewing information posted by other classmates that it is not necessarily one hundred percent accurate. A blog is great for personal use and can also be used under proper monitoring as a good classroom tool.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 PM  

  • After reading "Why Blog?", I began to realize just how advanced technology is becoming. People are actually able to write whatever they are feeling at the moment right on the internet. It's really amazing to me. Blogs are basically online journals or diaries that people frequently update. The content can be about anything and will range from basic thoughts and feelings to strong political views.

    I think that blogging is actually a great way to keep in touch with family and friends you don't get to see too often. If someone is going on a trip they even have the techonolgy where they can do audio blogging. They just call it in and it posts it to their blog site. I think in a way blogging would be a great addition to the educational system becuase it allows students to write out their feelings on a subject in a fun way. On the other hand, it also allows students to view other peoples blogs (I think) and if that's the case then the content may not be suitable for them. So whether or not a teacher adds blogging to the classroom is a decision that needs to be thought about carefully and thoughtfully.

    NL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:23 PM  

  • The "Blogshpere" brought to us by thejournal.com was very interesting. It provided a non-opinionated article for teachers or future educators to weigh the pro's and con's of using a blog in the classroom. I particularly liked the pedigogical section. (the section on teaching about teaching about blogs.) I found the article to be very informative.

    As for the subject of blogging in the classroom in general. . .I still have mixed feelings. I think it is a fantastic idea in general but as far a effectively executing it and monitoring it, i feel i would have a hard time; especially in a music classroom. If used properly, however, it could be an effective communication tool.

    -DW

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:03 PM  

  • I feel that Blogging in the classroom is a good Idea. Its a faster cheeper way to send notes home to parents if they blog instead o send it on paper its a lot cheeper and easier on the teacher.
    Hollie King

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:56 PM  

  • The Article "Why Blog" defines exactly what blogs are, what they are used for, and who started the idea of blogs. It gives pro's and con's to using them either for personal use or use in a classroom.
    After reading the article "Why Blog?", I was only partially convinced that blogs should be used by students in the classroom. While they encourage writing and creative thinking, like the article says, blogs can also just become a place to aimlessly present emotions.
    Since I am going to teach young elementary students, blogs do not necessarily apply to my classroom, however, if I was teaching older grades I can see the usefulness. For some students, blogs can be a place where they can "take a risk" and put their observations into writing without feeling pressured. Also, posting a blog can make some students feel responsible and accomplished, so they are more likely to do it. Also, by reading other peoples' blogs and commenting on them can encourage critical thinking skills. Overall, blogging is still sort of a mystery to me, but I plan to learn more about them in the future and how to incorporate them so students can learn.
    -K.D. (BB Sec.#1)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home