Should we use technology in the classroom?
We have been studying various forms of technology in Ed Tech this semester which you can possibly use in your future classrooms. Keep in mind that the students you will be serving have far more exposure to technology than you did at their age which may be overwhelming or intimidating. There are also other definite obstacles to using technology, but I feel that it is vital that we find ways to overcome these obstacles if we are to effectively prepare students for the future. What do you think your obligation is to use technology in the instruction and assessment? What do you see as the biggest obstacles to you using technology in your classroom? How will you overcome these obstacles?
Write 3-5 thoughful sentences in response to the questions above. Be sure to sign your name.
If you don't want your name on the web, use your initials and section # (BB- Sec1)
In order to comment, click on the Comment link below.
Write 3-5 thoughful sentences in response to the questions above. Be sure to sign your name.
If you don't want your name on the web, use your initials and section # (BB- Sec1)
In order to comment, click on the Comment link below.

39 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Jerry, at 10:30 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:21 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:22 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:23 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:27 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:28 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:30 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:17 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:20 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:21 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:21 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:21 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:22 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Anonymous, at 12:38 PM
I think that one of the biggest obstacles in using technology in the classroom is how parents or students may respond. They may not think that it is a useful way to use time. But I think it is the teacher's job to persuade them that it is a very important part of education. If we are to prepare students for the future it MUST include technology because that is a large part of their generation.
By
Anonymous, at 11:21 AM
As teacher's we need to realize that the world is changing and we should not prolong the inevitable by holding out education in the classroom. We should take advantage of this opportunity and use the technology to our advantage. The biggest obstacles on the other hand, are the chances that students might abuse the privilege. Teacher's need to regulate the usage.
By
Anonymous, at 11:22 AM
As teacher's we need to realize that the world is changing and we should not prolong the inevitable by holding out education in the classroom. We should take advantage of this opportunity and use the technology to our advantage. The biggest obstacles on the other hand, are the chances that students might abuse the privilege. Teacher's need to regulate the usage.
By
Anonymous, at 11:22 AM
i think that using technology will be very effective in my classroom. (i will hopefully be teaching 2nd or 3rd grade). I think that there is an obligation as a teacher to use technology since it such a growing thing today. If students are not introduced to different types of technology early in life, then I feel that they will not be advanced and knowledgable later when technology is of more importance to them. Although, like you mentioned there will be obstacles when using technology that the teacher will have to overcome. Something that I (being a 3rd grade teacher) will most likely be introducing things like cameras to the students. For me, the students won't be as advanced when it comes to these areas, so it might be a little tougher using things such as the internet as well since students might find it difficult, or parents might not want their young child on the internet. Another obstable I thought of what that children might not treat the technology as well as older students would. Since technology today is expensive and something very breakable, the teacher has to stress the fact that it is important to be extremly careful around things like computers, cameras, etc. These things are not huge obstacles, and I think that they are obstacles we can get over so technology can be an effective tool in my classroom.
AR (Ed Tech-12:00)
By
Anonymous, at 11:23 AM
I think that technology should be used in the classroom. In this highly digital and computerized world, we need to take advantage of the resources that are becoming available to us. Also, students are getting to be very familiar and comfortable with technology. It is something they enjoy and could potentially be very motivating to do work. I think the biggest obstacles associated with technology are that some students simply don't have access to technology, it detracts from the basic skills, and leaves more room for plagiarism. To overcome these obstacles, the teacher needs to use a lot of discernment in assignments and also be sure that every student has an opportunity to use the specific piece of technology.
By
Anonymous, at 11:23 AM
I don't feel a great obligation to integrate technology into a PE class. At least in the common sense of the word technology. It seems to me that technology has come to mean computers or elctronics. In a world thta is so focused and saturated wit hsuch things I think it is a nice escape to actually get to move without being tied down to a camputer. But other forms of technology , such as new equiptment that is safer and\or more effective I am all for.
With that type of technology the major obstacle I think would be finances. This can be overcome with a little ingenuity and time. Which of course does open up more troubles, but time problems are easy to know how to overcome. It is just a matter of finding or making the time to make some equiptment at home or searching for deals.
(Martin Phillips-sec 1)
By
Anonymous, at 11:26 AM
I don't really feel an oblogation to be using technology in the classroom becasue I am going to be in a gym and there is few things that I could use. THe biggest obstacle for is finding somthing that I could use in the gym besides a score clock or a srereo system. I can overcome these obstacles by searching the internet of magazines to find out what researchers have found to use to maybe halp motivate the students with technology or anything that can help with teh kids performance in the gym classes.
Richard Moore
By
Anonymous, at 11:27 AM
I think that teachers are responsible for introducing and exposing to technology that is age and content appropriate. It would be useful to students if they could learn useful things about technology or have their learning enhanced by using a form of technology.
One of the biggest obstacles that I see with using technology in the classroom is using it appropriately and not letting it eat up too much time. There are so many things that can go wrong with using technology in the classroom, if a teacher is completely dependent on the technology to work and it doesn’t, there needs to be a back up plan.
As a teacher, I hope to use technology that is age appropriate but not rely on technology complete, and to always have a back up plan. I want to use technolgy that would enhance my students learning, and not distract from it.
(Danielle--Section 1)
By
Anonymous, at 11:27 AM
I think that digital research will soon obliterate traditional library-style research. Therefore, i have the responsibility to train my students in the "modern" style of learning and paper-writing. In order to teach them, i must first be able to use it myself, so learning a whole new style of research will be key to being an effective English teacher.
The biggest obstacle for me in using technology is that I didn't grow up using very much of it. In order to familiarize myself with the ever-changing world of electronics, i will have to keep up on new developments by taking classes, and practicing using tools before classtime.
Alissa Taylor, sec 1
By
Anonymous, at 11:28 AM
In our technologically dependant society, I believe it is very important for students to learn how to correctly and beneficially use technology. If we as teachers don't teach them, then they may fall far behind their peers and be disadvantaged in society. At young ages, children seem to be using cell phones and computers like never before. With all the information, good and bad, on the internet it is important to teach our children to think critically about the sites they visit.
One challenge would be that there seems to be new technology coming out every day. How are we to keep up with these changes? I think it's important to teach the basics of computer, word, ppt, and internet, and then teach students to be critical thinkers about how they use technology, then as new inovations come about, they will be able to use them responsibily.
By
Anonymous, at 11:28 AM
I believe that using technology in the classroom is a thoughtful and essential part of our society. The biggest obstacles for me using technology in the classroom is that if the students already know what I am teaching. The students in the Jr. High classroom are beginning to learn how to use things on there own. By the time the teacher tries to teach it to them they already know and there is no teaching going on. Me as the teacher should try to know more than the students. Blogging is an effective way of getting the student to answer questions on the computer. We as teachers need to constantly learn more and more about technology to teach it.
By
Anonymous, at 11:31 AM
I think that the use of the internet in the classroom has its up's and downs. On the positive side, the internet has so much to offer and so many various resources that are very convenient. On the downside, you still want your students to know how to find books and do that kind of research as well. Although students can plagerize with any kind of resource, it is more likely to happen with the internet because of how convenient it is. All in all, I think it's important to have a balance in the classroom between the two and to give exposure to both.
By
Anonymous, at 2:23 PM
I believe that technology can be very helpful in a classroom. With technology improving everyday, I think it is very important that we use technology and teach the studetns how to use it as well. Using technology in the classroom, creates a different and fun way for children to learn. It takes them away from the everyday lectures and worksheets. SS Sec.B
By
Anonymous, at 2:23 PM
I think that technology should be an essential part of the everyday classroom. Students today are surrounded by technology so it is essential that we as teachers apply it in our classrooms. We need to show the studnets that computers can be used for more than games, but can really aid in their learning process. Technology does cost a lot of money though, so it is important that we put to good use the technology we have to use. Being creative and using it to teach the students not intertain them is key in using technology in the classroom correctly.
By
Anonymous, at 2:24 PM
I think that using a blog for assignment direction would allow students to always have information avialable no matter where they are. You can provide discussion questions and allow the kids to post responses and interact together, almost a monitored education chat room. In addition, you can figure out when students are doing their homework and the amount of time given between assignments. Technology is good, but can provide a lack of hands on opportunities and interaction in the classroom. In addition, some technology provides gives false information that can mislead students. However, with the correct guidance any technology can be used for educational purposes, especially if technology use classes are given or technology is explained for further use.
RN 2pm
By
Anonymous, at 2:24 PM
As I look forward to homeschooling elementary age missionary children, there are definitely aspects of technology that I will use in my classroom, but because I will be teaching in a home setting overseas I will use different technology than in the traditional classroom. I will probably use technology such as the Prolar Scope, which is a portable miscroscope, and digital cameras to teach my students. I do not think I will use the internet much as I teach, partly because of my students' age and partly because of internet availability in many Third World countries.
By
Anonymous, at 2:25 PM
Using technology in the classroom is very important in America because everything that people use has some technology in it and it is important to know how to use things such as computers, phones, etc. I will be teaching in kindergarten or 1st grade classes so there is not going to be much use of technology for the children. I am also planning on teaching in Uganda so there is no need to learn how to use technology because they don't have it.
By
Anonymous, at 2:27 PM
I definitely see the importance of taking advantage of the opportunity to use technology in the classroom. I still, however, would argue that the technology itself should aid the teacher rather than be the teacher. I believe that students need to have a physical person to interact with. Technology, obviously, can be used in many avenues inside the classroom and outside as student research and study at home. The biggest obstacles that I see potential for are student abuse of their privilege and my own inadequacy in using technology. In my class, I will want to use the resources I have in a way that won't be a distraction and also continue educating and familiarizing myself with the ever-changing and advancing technology of today.
AP-Section 2
By
Anonymous, at 2:28 PM
Using technology in everyday instruction is important for me as a future teaacher to do. I think that technology has become an important part of today's education system. It will be my job to teach my students how to use thier resources wisely. The biggest challenge that I see is the problem of them not using the technology properly. Whether it is doing online research or doing a project, it would be challenging to monitor all students to make use that they are using it properly. To overcome this obstacle I can make sure that they are using good websites and teach them to be responsible with the technology.
bl-section2
By
Anonymous, at 2:37 PM
As a teacher, my obligation is to carefully use technology as a great resource for informaion. It can be incredibly useful in the learning process. When instructing my students, I need to make sure they are focusing on what we are talking about when it comes to the internet and not focused on other things. It is easy to become distracted when using the internet. Some of the biggest obstacles would probably be wanting to go on other sites and being distracted away from what the teacher is acutally talking about. I can overcome these obstacles by being a teacher who catches attention and I can walk around the classroom consistenly and watch what my students are doing.
KMM Section 3
By
Anonymous, at 3:29 PM
I think that it is important to use technology in our classrooms because it is already such a big part of our society. There are some very important issues that must be addressed,though. The internet, for example, has an incredible potential for good use. Unfortunately, it can easily be misused. It is a simple matter to find information that may even seem to be reliable that really isn't. If we are going to be using this tool, we must teach our students how to properly use it for true information.
E.T. Section 3
By
Anonymous, at 3:30 PM
I agree that we have an obligation to use technology in the classroom but I don't think that we need to use every kind of technology. I think it should only be used if it will enhance the teaching or learning. Sometimes it takes longer to teach how to use the technology than it does to teach the content. In that case I do not think that technology is an obligation. One of the biggest obstacles to using technology for me is have to learn how to use it myself. It takes so much time to learn how to use something well enough to teach others how to use it that I think it will be hard to ever sit down and learn it.
TB - 3:00
By
Anonymous, at 3:41 PM
I think that using technology is important to prepare my students for the future. I don't think it is my role as an elementary teacher to teach my students everything about computers and other technology. But I do feel that I should give them a foundation for future use. I also feel that I should get all my students at the same level or make sure they each have some understanding about technology. I feel that the largest obstacles for the younger students will be getting them all to the same level, and helping those who don't have any information about technology get caught up. I feel that I will address these students individually while also incorporating their parents into the situation
CR session 3
By
Anonymous, at 3:43 PM
I think that biggest obstacle that I face when attempting to use technology in the classroom is fear that I will get frustrated when things go wrong. I think ways that I can combat this is by gettting invovled in places where I am forced to use technology more. It is also beneficial to simply humble myself and ask for help. :) -megan f
By
Anonymous, at 4:02 PM
I think that my obligation as a teacher in using technology is to supply my student with a general knowledge of technology and to also incorporate it into my lessons as well to give variety and help my students explore different technology. My biggest obstacle would be trying to have technology being a real intergrated part of the curriculum because I'm pretty old-fashioned. In order for me to overcome this obstacle, I need to keep an open mind towards technology.
JB 3:00 section
By
Anonymous, at 3:27 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home